Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 cups roughly chopped ginger snap cookies
- 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater)
- 4 tablespoons dairy-free margarine or vegan spread, melted
- About 2 lbs baked sweet potatoes, skins washed, or 2 cups mashed
- 1 cup Andre Prost Coconut Milk (found in the baking aisle)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: grated nutmeg
55 minutes to bake
Total time: 80 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F with oven rack in middle position. Oil and flour* a 9 inch pie plate.
- Add chopped ginger snaps and Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater) to a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until the texture of sand. With motor running, slowly add melted margarine until incorporated with crumbs and mixture holds together when pinched between two fingers.
- Set aside 1/3 cup of crumb mixture and add rest to pie plate. Using the flat bottom of a measuring cup, evenly and firmly, press ginger snap mixture on bottom and up sides of pie plate. Gently cover edges of crust with thin pieces of foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, wipe out processor and add: 2 cups of firmly packed sweet potato (with skins removed) Coconut Milk, brown and granulated sugars, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Process until totally smooth.
- Pour into pre-baked shell and sprinkle with nutmeg, if desired. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining ginger snap mixture in a circle on top of pie, with some in the very middle. Place back in oven for 25 minutes. Cool pie on wire rack. Refrigerate when cool.