Almond Apple Pie
- Double pie crusts (homemade or store bought)
- 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste
- 3 lbs baking apples*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Milk and sugar for crust
- * We used a mix of Granny Smith and Cortland apples for our pie
50-60 minutes to bake
- Adjust rack to lowest or second lowest rung in oven. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment and set aside.
- Roll crust to fit a 9" pie plate and fit into dish. Shape Almond Paste into a flat disk and place between wax paper. Roll out to a 9 inch circle and press into bottom and up sides of piecrust. Refrigerate.
- Peel, core and slice apples into a large bowl (makes 7-8 cups). Toss with lemon juice.
- Whisk sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until mixed and toss with apples.
- Remove pie crust from refrigerator and fill with apples. Dot apples with butter. Roll second crust, top apples, seal edges and cut steam vents. Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie on sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F and bake for 35-40 minutes more or until apples are soft and bubbling. If crust is browning too fast, tent pie with foil.
- Remove pie dish to a wire rack and let set up for 30 minutes before cutting.