Lemon Almond Poppy Seed Cake
- 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater)
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Scant 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4-6 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Optional: 1-2 drops yellow food coloring
45-50 minutes to bake
Total time: 70-75 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease and flour fluted pan.
- Grate 1 tablespoon of lemon rind on smallest hole of grater, being careful not to get the pith (white part of rind). Set rind aside. Squeeze juice and reserve for icing.
- In a mixing bowl beat Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater), sugar and butter on high speed until well combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat on high three minutes, or until light colored and fluffy.
- Sift flour with baking powder and baking soda. Mix grated rind and poppy seeds into flour. Add flour mixture to batter alternately with sour cream. Beat on low until just combined and smooth. Do not over mix.
- Spoon batter into pan, and smooth top with a rubber spatula. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake turns golden and a toothpick inserted near cake middle pulls out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Invert cake on wire rack and cool completely. Drizzle with icing or dust with powdered sugar.
- Icing: In a small bowl mix the powdered sugar, 4-6 teaspoons of lemon juice and almond extract until smooth. Add a drop of yellow food color if desired. Drizzle icing around top of cake and let it run down the sides.
- For an extra festive touch decorate with marzipan lemons or grated lemon peel.
- To Store: After completely cooled, wrap in plastic wrap. The cake will last three days at room temperature or one week if refrigerated.To Freeze: Wrap un-iced cake first in plastic and then with foil. Freeze for up to one month.