Grilled Almond Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum, divided
- 1 large pineapple*, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- * To save time and labor we used a fresh, peeled and cored pineapple in the refrigerated section of the produce aisle.
40-45 minutes to bake
Total time: 75 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Preheat grill on high.
- Add 1/2 stick of butter, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of rum to skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar melts and ingredients are combined.
- Brush both sides pineapple rings with brown sugar-rum mixture. Oil grill grates. Grill rings 3-5 minutes each side or until dark grill marks appear. Place pineapple rings in skillet in a concentric circle, with one in center. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- Add Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater), sugar and remaining 1/2 stick butter to mixing bowl. Beat until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each. Mix in remaining tablespoon of rum.
- Mix flour mixture and pineapple juice alternately (ending with flour). Beat until just combined.
- Spoon batter over pineapple rings, spreading evenly. Bake 40-45 minutes or until top is golden and tester inserted near middle comes out clean.
- Cool skillet on wire rack for 10 minutes and gently loosen edges of cake. Place a flat serving dish over skillet and invert cake onto dish. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate unused portions.