Chocolate Covered Marzipan Holiday Treats
- 1-7 oz box of Odense Marzipan
- 10 oz chocolate melting wafers found in baking aisle
- Optional: Colored Candy Melts* of choice for decoration (red, white, green, sprinkles)
- We used Ghirardelli chocolate melting wafers for our test.*Candy Melts can be found in candy, cake decorating stores or craft stores like Jo-Ann Fabrics. They have already been tempered so they do not change color (bloom) or grow dull with time.
- Flatten marzipan and roll out to a 1/4 inch thickness on a counter that has been lightly dusted with powdered sugar, or roll between wax paper.
- Cut out holiday decorations and gently transfer to a wire rack. Tip: A sheet of wax paper or foil under the rack makes for easy clean up.
- Melt chocolate wafers in a double boiler (or in a stainless steel bowl set on top of a saucepan) over simmering, not boiling water. Stirring occasionally, melt until smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate over holiday shapes, smoothing to edges. A dry, clean paintbrush dipped in chocolate can help fill in any sides that do not get covered. With paintbrush, decorate with melted Candy Melts of choice and sprinkles, if desired. Allow to dry completely.
- Store candies between wax paper in an airtight container, 2-3 weeks on counter or 1-2 months in the refrigerator.