Chocolate Almond Buttermilk Scones
- 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup and 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons almond extract, divided
- 1-12 oz package mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
18-20 minutes to bake
Total time: 48-50 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Add Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater), flour, butter, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a food processor fitted with metal blade. Process until the texture of fine crumbs. This step can be done with a pastry blender.
- Whisk buttermilk, egg and 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients and 1 cup of mini chips. Mix until incorporated. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead until firm enough to roll out.
- With a floured rolling pin, roll out to about 1/2 -3/4 inch thickness. Dip cookie cutter in flour and cut scones. Place on cookie sheets. Gather remaining dough and repeat until all dough is used. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool pans on wire racks until scones are cool enough to transfer to wire rack.
- To make chocolate glaze, add cream and butter to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and turn off heat. Immediately add 3/4 cup chocolate chips and remaining 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Spoon over scones.