Apple Cranberry Almond Bake
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose baking mix*
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice, divided
- Juice of one lemon
- 4-5 small Granny Smith apples, approx. the same size
- 1/4 cup milk
- Optional: vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- *We used Bisquick in our recipe
25 minutes to bake
Total time: 50 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush a 9x13 inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- In a large bowl add: Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater), baking mix flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, cranberries, and 1/2 teaspoon of the apple pie spice. Mix with fingertips to incorporate ingredients and break up any large size pieces of Almond Paste.
- In a small bowl mix the remaining sugar with the last 1/2 teaspoon of apple pie spice. Set aside.
- Mix lemon juice with 3 tablespoons water in a medium bowl. Peel apples and slice in half (just either side of core). This will give you 8 or 10 halves and four or five thin center cores (with apple on either side).
- Carefully cut each half almost through (but not quite), spacing cuts about 1/4 inch apart. Add cut apple halves to lemon juice and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Grate remaining apple from center core slices. Discard core and add grated apple to almond/flour mixture. Toss to combine. Add milk and mix until moistened.
- Spoon batter evenly into pan. Press apples through dough into bottom of pan, making 2 lines of apples. You may only be able to fit 8 halves if apples are too large. Gently press batter back around edges of apples. Brush apples and batter with remaining melted butter. Evenly sprinkle top of apples with reserved sugar/spice mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until dough is golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and serve warm. Top with vanilla ice cream if desired, or whipped cream.