Almond Hummingbird Cake
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1-20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained well
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater)
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 cups mashed bananas, over-ripe are the best
- 2/3 cup oil
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons almond liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting or ours*
20-25 minutes to bake
Frosting time depends on homemade or store bought
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray or grease and flour 3-9 inch round cake pans.
- Toast almonds and coconut in a dry (ungreased) skillet until golden. Pour into a bowl to cool. Add one cup of pineapple to toasted almond mixture. Mix well and set aside.
- Add flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda to a sifter. Sift into large bowl and set aside.
- Add Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater) and sugar to a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until the texture of sand. This step can be done in a mixer but won't be as finely chopped. Add bananas, oil and eggs. Process or mix until smooth. Mix in almond liqueur and vanilla extract until combined.
- Make a well inside of flour mixture. Add liquid ingredients and toasted almond mixture. Beat until all ingredients are combined.
- Divide batter equally among the 3 cake pans (about 2 1/3 cups to each pan). Rap pans on counter to release any air bubbles. Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Place pans on rack to cool for 10 minutes. Invert pans onto rack to cool cake completely.
- Frost cooled cakes with favorite cream cheese frosting or try our White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting; see note. Make a 3 layer cake or divide each layer (split horizontally) and have a show-stopping 6 layer cake!