Almond Filled Chocolate Covered Cherries
- 1/2-7 oz box Odense Marzipan or Almond Paste
- 1-16 oz jar maraschino cherries with stems, drained
- 1-12 oz bag semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- White chocolate
- Oil based red candy coloring (Wilton), water based food coloring will not work
Drying time varies on chocolate used
- Pat cherries dry between layers of paper towel. With a sharp knife, slit from bottom of cherry to stem, without cutting completely in half.
- Pinch off small pieces of Marzipan (about the size of a large pea) and roll into balls. Fill cavities of cherries with Marzipan. Round out shape using a paper towel to soak up any extra syrup.
- Heat 1 cup chocolate chips on high in microwaveable container for 1 minute and stir, then at 15 second intervals (stirring between each) until smooth and melted. Make sure chocolate does not come into any contact with water (on bowl or spoon) or it will seize (harden).
- Holding stem, dip filled cherries into melted chocolate and place on wax paper or directly into paper bonbon cups to dry. Melt additional chocolate as needed.