Almond Apricot Ginger Scones
- 1/2 cup chopped apricots
- 1 tablespoon almond liqueur
- 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar (large crystal sugar makes a show stopping finish)
20-22 minutes to bake
Total time: 45-47
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Add apricots and liqueur to small bowl. Combine and set aside.
- Add Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater), flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a food processor fitted with metal blade. Process until texture of small crumbs. (This step can be done with a pastry blender.) Add crystallized ginger and reserved apricots. Pulse until mixed into flour.
- Add sour cream and 1 egg to a large bowl. Beat until combined. Add flour mixture and mix with spoon until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured counter. Knead one or two turns until dough is firm enough to roll out, but still delicate. With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out to about 1/2-3/4 inch thickness.
- Dip cookie cutter in flour and cut scones. Place scones on cookie sheets. Gather remaining dough and roll out again. Repeat until all dough is used. *
- Beat remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water and brush scone tops with egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar and bake 20-22 minutes. Or until scones are firm to touch and light golden. Cool on wire rack.*At this point scones can be refrigerated and baked the next day for easy entertaining. Continue with direction 7 and enjoy!