Almond Apple Slab Pie
- 4 1/2 lbs mixed*apples, peeled cored and chopped
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup turbino or granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup thawed apple concentrate, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Double pie crust for a 10 -12 inch pie
- Crumb Topping:
- 1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste, diced into small pieces
- 2 cups rolled (old fashioned) oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each, ground cinnamon and salt
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- *any combination of baking apples that are hard and soft, like Granny Smith mixed with Macintosh or Cortland's
40 minutes to bake
Total time: 90 minutes
- Add chopped apples to a large pan and toss with lemon juice. In a small bowl, mix sugar with apple pie spice and salt. Add to pan along with 1/4 cup of apple concentrate. Mix remaining 1/4 cup apple concentrate with cornstarch and set aside.
- Cook apples over a medium-high heat until tender crisp. Pour cornstarch mixture into cooking apples and stir until filling is translucent and thickened. Refrigerate until cooled.
- Meanwhile, adjust bottom rack to last rung and preheat oven to 400°F. Form pie crust into a long rectangle. On a well-floured counter, roll out rectangle to have a one inch overhang on all sides of pan. Fold in half and place on pan. Unfold and gently push pie crust into edges of rims and up sides. Fold over any extra overhang of crust and trim so the edges are uniform. Refrigerate.
- To make topping; add diced Almond Paste, oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Mix until well combined. Add softened butter and cut into oat mixture with a pastry blender or mix with fingers, until the texture of crumbs.
- Evenly, spoon cooled apples into pie crust. Top with crumb topping. Bake 40 minutes on bottom rack, turning 1/2 way through baking. Slab pie is done when crumb mixture is golden brown and apples are bubbly and easily pierced with a toothpick. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into hand size bars. Refrigerate after 24 hours.