- 1-7 oz box Odense Marzipan*, grated
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter at room temperature
- 1 lb confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups flaked, sweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon amaretto liqueur
- 12 oz white chocolate chips (you can also use dark chocolate)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, such as Crisco
- Assorted food colors paste or gel
- *Odense Almond Paste may be substituted
Chill time: 4 hours
Total Time 4 hr. 30 min.
- Using an electric mixer with paddle attachment, mix together the grated Marzipan, butter, sugar, condensed milk, flaked coconut and amaretto. Mix until smooth.
- Cover the mixture and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Wearing latex gloves, roll into one inch balls and place in a single layer on a plate or cookie sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze at least one hour, or until firm.
- Use a double boiler, or create one by filling a pot with 1" of water and placing a metal bowl on top. The water must not come in contact with the bowl. Put over medium heat.
- Add the white chocolate and shortening. Stir constantly, with a dry rubber spatula or dry wooden spoon, until melted. Add food coloring of your choice one drop at a time. Remember, you can't take it out once you put it in!
- Turn off heat.
- With a toothpick, spear a bonbon and dip into the melted white chocolate. Twirl your wrist as the excess chocolate drips off to get a pretty design.
- Using a fork, gently pull the toothpick out of the bonbon. Slide the bonbon onto a cookie sheet or plate.
- When the white chocolate sets, put the bonbons in a plastic container. Freeze until serving