Almond Dutch Apple Pie
- 1 single pie crust (homemade or frozen)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, very cold
- 1-7oz box Odense Almond Paste
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 3 lbs baking apples*, peeled, cored, sliced
- *We used an equal combination of Granny Smith, Cortland and McIntosh apples.
25 minutes to assemble filling
60-70 minutes to bake
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Adjust oven rack to lowest or second lowest rung in oven. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment.
- Roll out crust and line a 9 inch pie plate. Flute edges and refrigerate.
- In a medium sized bowl combine brown sugar, oats, flour, cinnamon and salt. Using the large hole side of a box grater, grate in butter and Almond Paste. Mix with fingers until the texture of crumbs, and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Toss with apples and pour into pie shell. Spoon topping over apples, pressing topping in place with free hand. Place pie on baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F. Bake 40-50 minutes more or until golden brown and juices are bubbling. If topping is browning too quickly, tent with foil.