Almond Cream Cheese Tart with Cranberries
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 1/2-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater)
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces, COLD
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 cup allpurpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon ice water
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 1/2-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste, grated
- 8 oz cream cheese, regular or reduced fat, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice or orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur, cranberry juice or orange juice
20-25 minutes to bake
Total Time: 80-85 minutes
- TO MAKE CRUST:Fit food processor with metal blade. Add Almond Paste, butter, cocoa, flour and sugar. Using short pulses, combine until mixture is a coarse meal.
- Add egg beaten with ice water. Pulse until dough starts to come together. Add another teaspoon of water if necessary, pulsing until the dough forms a ball. DO NOT OVERPULSE, or a tough crust will result.
- Tip dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and shape into a ball. Flatten into a disk about 1/2 inch thick. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. While dough is resting, make filling.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- After 30 minutes, unwrap the dough and roll out between two sheets of wax paper. Lay dough over tart pan and gently press into sides. Remove excess dough by passing a rolling pin over the top. Trimmings can be used to make cookies.
- TO MAKE FILLING:Beat Almond Paste (grated using large hole side of box grater), cream cheese, and sugar with an electric mixer until well mixed. There may still be small pieces of Almond Paste. Add egg and beat until smooth. Pour filling into crust.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until filling is lightly colored and firm. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- FOR THE TOPPING:While filling is baking, spread berries onto a sheet pan. Remove shriveled cranberries, and stems. Rinse and drain. Just before tart is done, heat cranberries, juice and sugar in saucepan over high heat until cranberries have softened, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk together cornstarch and liqueur or juice of choice until smooth. Add to simmering cranberry mixture. Stirring, cook until mixture thickens and becomes transparent. Spread mixture over warm tart.
- Allow tart to cool to room temperature before removing from pan.